The Caldwell Presbyterian Church is named for its founder, James Caldwell, who in 1810 was responsible for the erection of the first church building in Lake George. The first church was built on Canada Street, overlooking Artillery Cove, where in 1757 Montcalm landed his troops for the siege of Fort Henry. This site is currently the location of Banknorth.
At the dedication ceremony, James Caldwell said of the new Church, “This shall be called a Presbyterian Church but it shall be open to all evangelical denominations.” The first Presbyterian preacher to serve the church regularly seems to have been the Reverend Anthony Paul, a Mohican Indian.
In 1830 the church became affiliated with the Presbytery of Troy, which in 1959 became the Presbytery of Albany. The present building was constructed in 1855 and 1856 on land donated by the heirs of James Caldwell. In 1958 the congregation added the Christian Education wing, and in 1978 the preschool addition was built.
In seeking to serve our Lord Jesus Christ, the people of this church have been active participants in the life of their community. The first Lake George library was organized as part of this church, and it remained so until the present library building was completed. The first kindergarten was also here, until it was taken over by the Lake George Board of Education.
With the reunion of the old “Northern” and “Southern” Churches in 1983, Caldwell became part of a new denomination, the Presbyterian Church (USA). The event provided a model for our future; a future of renewed vitality and unity as we share in the many gifts that God has given us. Together as a congregation and with other churches of our community we continue our history of service to God.